Tuesday, April 13, 2010

4-13-10


4-13-10
Originally uploaded by Everyday Joan

A little victory for today - I managed to haul myself out of bed before six so that I could start my day with a good breakfast, pack healthy lunches for the kids, get ready for work, and leave the house with minimum grouchiness!

I'm actually pretty happy about today's lunch. The inari zushi came out of the freezer and I must say, it did remarkable well. Two tricks learned from experience - first, freeze until solid before attempting to foodsaver in individual portion sizes and second, microwave before putting into your bento (let cool before final packing, of course) to perk the rice back up. The roe was added after microwaving, before packing. The miso was left over from my breakfast - I left out the veggies that I included with breakfast because I'd included them in other places in the lunch.I did learn a lesson with the miso - keep the fried onions out until just before serving. If you leave them to sit in the soup, they lose their coating!

Dinner for the kids tonight was soup from a can and breadsticks. :-( I had the things ready to make a healthy dinner, but time and leftover dishes that were threatening to take over my kitchen conspired against me! I conceded defeat. By the time kids were fed, dishes were done, homework was done, and kids were in jammies...I just didn't have the energy to fix the dinner I had planned.

Dinner for me turned out to be oven-baked french fries using rendered foie gras duck fat I've been saving (don't hate me until you've tried it, lol). Delicious! But now I'm going to have to raid the freezer again for tomorrow's lunch since I was planning to use tonight's leftovers....

Did I mention I was a busy lady? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All views are welcome. Please keep things on topic and use common courtesy. :-)